» PVFA upcoming events
Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:45 am by TA78

» Car Show August 3 Raynham MA
Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:55 pm by BanditRich

» Pioneer Valley Firebirds Events 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:47 pm by Steve

» 7th ANNUAL NECF POTLUCK COOKOUT, Sunday, June 15, 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:48 pm by The Firebird

» PVGTOA 16th Annual Show 6/1 Agawam Mass.
Wed May 28, 2014 6:13 pm by TA78

» '84 Recaro T/A, 5 speed, uber-rare Y81 Ttop-Delete, $1950
Thu May 08, 2014 2:50 pm by The Firebird

» Dream Car Sprint
Tue May 06, 2014 10:16 pm by Steve

» Grease Monkey Garage
Fri May 02, 2014 6:05 pm by tajoe

National Firebird & Trans Am Club

Charter Oak Firebird’s Club Web Site
Firebird Nation of North America's Club Web Site.

Pioneer Valley Firebird Assn Web Site
Massachusetts Firebird Car Club

43 miles on less than a gallon of gas. (Firebird Version)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

43 miles on less than a gallon of gas. (Firebird Version)

Post by mr71transam on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:45 am

This is what happens when your Fuel Pump goes. I want to Thank Harry D for all his Help and support during Judy's and mine Great Adventure.

Well Judy said that she first started to smell gas just after I took the Bird up to around 100 mph while cruising up to the Hotel Friday. But every thing was still running OK .
Checked in to the Hotel, Still no problems.

Left Hotel to go register at the Crown Plaza. Lost power going up an onramp, but just for a few seconds. When we got to the Crown Plaza I checked under the bird and show Gas leaking from the Fuel pump. I tighten the fuel supply and return lines. The leak stopped.

Judy and I than left to go get something to eat. Got back on I95 no problems at first. But the Bird started to lose power. Before I reached exit 7 every thing was good again. So we pulled into Chiles and had a Great Dinner. When we left Chiles, Bird started fine, but before we got out of the parking lot Bird started to lose power again. We were able to turn the corner and rolled into BJ’s gas station. I thought that maybe my gas gauge was bad and I had run out of Gas. Filled the tank. But this time the Bird would not start.

Call Harry D (Friend and Great Mechanic) to see I he could Help. It only took Harry a minute to determine that my fuel pump was bad. So we left Judy and the Bird at BJ’s Gas Station and went to find a replacement Fuel pump. Everyone could get me one in two days but no one had one. Back to BJ’s

Harry then took Judy and me back to the Hotel so we could check out and contact Hagerty for a tow back to Waterford (where I have a replacement fuel pump/normally in the Bird, but removed to make room for our stuff). Harry then took Judy, me and ALL our stuff back to BJ’s to wait for the tow truck.

They got there in about hour a half. Loaded the Bird on the Flat bead and headed home (Harry stayed with us the whole time, THANKS HARRY!!!!!!!!!!!)

Got back home and unloaded the Bird by 10 PM.

Went to bed. Got up 5:45 Saturday morning, changed the Fuel Pump and made to the Show by 8:30.

Had a Great time!!

Rick H[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by mr71transam on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Founder
Founder

http://www.charteroakbirds.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 43 miles on less than a gallon of gas. (Firebird Version)

Post by blue81ta on Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Glad everything worked out Rick. Harry D is THE MAN.
blue81ta

Back to top Go down

Post by 69_RAG_TOP on Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:02 pm

Rick,

Holy cow...what an adventure. At least my car died BEFORE the trip to Warwick in my garage.

Amazing that you were able to get the car back at the Crowne Plaza bright and early Saturday morning.

I keep telling you that you must always bring with you a spare battery, water pump, thermostat, fuel pump, upper and lower radiator hose, alternator, fan belt, distributor, power steering pump and a spare coil.

Boy Scouts Motto is BE PREPARED.

Get your motor runnin'. Head out on the highway Lookin' for adventure. And whatever comes our way. 1978 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, W72 Engine. bored .030 over Coded WC, 4-speed, Forged rods, pistons, 6X Heads Hays performance clutch, Flowmaster 40 Series 3" stainless dual exhaust, Hooker super competition, Ceramic coated long tube headers, 4 core HD radiator, Edelbrock Performer Series Carb
69_RAG_TOP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.charteroakbirds.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 73sd4me on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:57 am

Yip, I definately would have broken down on that trip! Nice to have a fellow technical bird man at the show. Nice job Harry. Hagerty is paid for this year...nice to have your own auto parts store in your garage/house with all those spare fenders,hoods and doors waiting to be installed. Any room in that tent your sleeping in?

73sd4me

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top