» PVFA upcoming events
Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:45 am by TA78

» Car Show August 3 Raynham MA
Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:55 pm by BanditRich

» Pioneer Valley Firebirds Events 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:47 pm by Steve

» 7th ANNUAL NECF POTLUCK COOKOUT, Sunday, June 15, 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:48 pm by The Firebird

» PVGTOA 16th Annual Show 6/1 Agawam Mass.
Wed May 28, 2014 6:13 pm by TA78

» '84 Recaro T/A, 5 speed, uber-rare Y81 Ttop-Delete, $1950
Thu May 08, 2014 2:50 pm by The Firebird

» Dream Car Sprint
Tue May 06, 2014 10:16 pm by Steve

» Grease Monkey Garage
Fri May 02, 2014 6:05 pm by tajoe

National Firebird & Trans Am Club

Charter Oak Firebird’s Club Web Site
Firebird Nation of North America's Club Web Site.

Pioneer Valley Firebird Assn Web Site
Massachusetts Firebird Car Club

What is Your Opinion of the Future Collector Value of Pontiacs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is Your Opinion of the Future Collector Value of Pontiacs?

Post by 69_RAG_TOP on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:39 am

When is a good time to buy a Pontiac? What will be the future value of a Pontiac?

The average price of a Pontiac Sunbird was $5,164 in 1980.
The average price of a Pontiac Trans Am was $7,481 in 1980.
The average price of a Pontiac Catalina was $6,671 in 1980.
The average price of a Pontiac Firebird was $5,992 in 1980.
The average price of a Pontiac 6000 was $6,230 in 1982.
The average price of a Pontiac Grand AM was $9,965 in 1988.

Now that the Pontiac brand is gone, the value of Pontiac collector automobiles has been rising.

Notable classic car collectors have been predicting this for a year now. They say there is an increased value that Pontiacs have over the Chevys and an appreciation potential. While we have seen the market for the 1955, 1956 and 1957 Chevys has leveled off to an extent; Pontiacs from that era are still coming up in value, even in this somewhat soft car market. According to one of the big Pontiac collectors J. Kennis, the bottom line is this: “From the standpoint of what you get for your money, ’55-’57 Pontiacs have it all over the Tri-Five Chevys. You get one-and-a-half times the car for three-quarters of the money.”

The Chevys from the 1960s and 1970s sold well for the last decade as well. That was where the market demand was. But how rare in numbers are Pontiacs compared to Chevrolets? The Pontiacs will hold their value and will continue to appreciate. Compare production numbers of Chevrolets to Pontiacs. Try to find an original Pontiac Star Chiefs, Chieftains, Venturas, 2 +2, Tempests, Grand Prix, Firebird and GTO cars in the market place. It is getting harder every day.

Opinions of Pontiac collector J. Kramen, “Investment grade collectors are still out there but they are wary,” he explains. “Cars are being scrutinized more than in the past, and questionable cars are not getting the dollars they were in 2005. Big money is still changing hands, but without question, it must be the right car.”

As for his recommendations for future purchases, Kramen’s opinion were similar to the others. “Super Duty Trans Ams continue to be hot. The Late-’70s Trans Ams are very much in demand. SE Trans Ams are really hot right now,” he says. Early-’70s Trans Ams peaked five years ago, while the mid seventies Firebirds were kind of lost in the shuffle. Prices have risen with those cars, even where others have fallen. Firebirds remain in the two or three cars from the era that were popular then and popular now.”

From another perspective, collectors see that ’71-’81 Trans Ams are picking up. “First-time collectors are going after the cars of their youth—SE cars are particularly hot,” J. Mattison says. “Four-speeds are better yet.” He has also seen an increase in interest in the ’80-’81 turbo cars, particularly the ’80 Indy and ’81 Daytona pace-car replicas from that era.

Whatever happens in 2011 and beyond, we can see that if you have the disposable income to spend on a collector car, now is a good time to invest—as long as you’re realistic about the potential value gains, the possible risks, and are willing to hang onto it for a while, if needed. At the moment, tangible assets like collector Pontiacs are more stable than stocks, and despite the holding costs, they represent a prudent means to grow an investment portfolio. Best of all, they are way more fun than coins and stamps.

Parts of this article has been adapted from High Performance Pontiac article reprinted. Read more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Get your motor runnin'. Head out on the highway Lookin' for adventure. And whatever comes our way. 1978 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, W72 Engine. bored .030 over Coded WC, 4-speed, Forged rods, pistons, 6X Heads Hays performance clutch, Flowmaster 40 Series 3" stainless dual exhaust, Hooker super competition, Ceramic coated long tube headers, 4 core HD radiator, Edelbrock Performer Series Carb
69_RAG_TOP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.charteroakbirds.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What is Your Opinion of the Future Collector Value of Pontiacs?

Post by rkellerjr on Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:46 pm

I do not think values are going to move much, not with the economy the way it is. When the economy picks up I think the values will climb.
rkellerjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve on Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:20 pm

I watch ebay regularly and TA prices are down from what they were two or three years ago. On the TV auctions (Barrett Jackson, Mecum, etc.) all origianl low mile cars are bringing some really big money. A 1980 Turbo SE TA went for $69,300 with only 7500 miles. One with 800 original miles went for $82,500. For the TA market from 1975 to 1981 you have to remembe rthat these cars were carnked out in the tens of thousands and most are drivers. The really pristine cars are the only ones bringing collector money. GTOs I would say peaked a few years ago.
Steve

http://tran-zam.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 69_RAG_TOP on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:01 pm

Ok. Let me add my two cents about future collectibles from what I have read over the past year.

When I was younger in the 1990s I recall a lunch table conversation that all of the best Pontiac collector cars have been purchased and the prices are too high to enter the collector market.

That is when I had a chance to buy a 1968 Pontiac Firebird convertible for $4500... a lot of money at the time. I did not have the money since my third child had just been born and I was looking at minivans to buy.

So what goes around comes around. Fast forward to 2011 and the prices for the great cars are very high again.

So just like stocks, buy low, sell high. What is selling low these days?

From a collector point of view just about all of the first and second generation Pontiacs have already priced themselves into the stratosphere for the beginning collector with a modest budget.

However there are quite a few desirable Pontiac cars on the market that can be found for just a few thousand dollars in really nice shape.

So what should the average working guy do? Give up? No need to worry.

It is a fact that cars from the 1980s are 30 years old and were some of the highest quality cars that GM ever manufactured.

Let's look at the the cars from the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s.

The next wave of collectible Pontiacs on the radar to be in popular demand include some surprising cars.

For consideration these are some of the not so obvious as well as some of the obvious cars Pontiacs built that have been included on the collectible list. I do not agree with all of these choices but I certainly would enjoy owning some of these cars as well.

2009 Pontiac Solstice
2008 Pontiac G8
2004 Pontiac GTO
1999 - 2003 Pontiac Grand Am
2002 Pontiac Trans Am 35th
1998 Pontiac Trans Am
1996- 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix
1996 -1998 Pontiac Grand Am
1994 Pontiac Trans Am 15th
1993 Pontiac Trans Am
1990 Pontiac Grand Am HO Quad 4
1988 Pontiac Fiero
1986 -1992 Pontiac Trans Am 5.7
1985 -1991 Pontiac Firebird convertibles
1984 Pontiac Fiero
1984 Pontiac 6000 STE
1982 Pontiac Formula and Trans Am
1982 -1988 Pontiac J2000 and Sunbird convertible
1980 Pontiac Grand Am coupe (Nascar)

Get your motor runnin'. Head out on the highway Lookin' for adventure. And whatever comes our way. 1978 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, W72 Engine. bored .030 over Coded WC, 4-speed, Forged rods, pistons, 6X Heads Hays performance clutch, Flowmaster 40 Series 3" stainless dual exhaust, Hooker super competition, Ceramic coated long tube headers, 4 core HD radiator, Edelbrock Performer Series Carb
69_RAG_TOP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.charteroakbirds.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top