» PVFA upcoming events
Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:45 am by TA78

» Car Show August 3 Raynham MA
Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:55 pm by BanditRich

» Pioneer Valley Firebirds Events 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:47 pm by Steve

» 7th ANNUAL NECF POTLUCK COOKOUT, Sunday, June 15, 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:48 pm by The Firebird

» PVGTOA 16th Annual Show 6/1 Agawam Mass.
Wed May 28, 2014 6:13 pm by TA78

» '84 Recaro T/A, 5 speed, uber-rare Y81 Ttop-Delete, $1950
Thu May 08, 2014 2:50 pm by The Firebird

» Dream Car Sprint
Tue May 06, 2014 10:16 pm by Steve

» Grease Monkey Garage
Fri May 02, 2014 6:05 pm by tajoe

National Firebird & Trans Am Club

Charter Oak Firebird’s Club Web Site
Firebird Nation of North America's Club Web Site.

Pioneer Valley Firebird Assn Web Site
Massachusetts Firebird Car Club

Rigging Online Polls is Really Not a Good Idea

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rigging Online Polls is Really Not a Good Idea

Post by 69_RAG_TOP on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:25 pm

My two cents here...

I have received three requests this month from fellow car collectors to vote for a car in an online poll that someone I really do not know at all wants me to vote for. These requests were made to me for cars that I have not even seen in person.

In one of the polls they asked me to vote for a car that was put up against an extremely nice restored car that the owner had spent time and money restoring it himself. A lot of hours and sweat went into the restoration. I know this because the car was my wife's cousins Chevrolet.

This is annoying to me because it serves no purpose other than getting masses of people to sit at their computers and pile on votes.

I really do not like to see this happen because isn't the idea of the poll is to find out what the voters really want to finish first?

The web masters know what is going on if they see the scale and number of votes that are being tallied.

The web site traffic counter goes up and the number of hits is 10 to 20 times normal.

So what does the winner get? A T Shirt, a photo, a gift certificate and maybe a few hours of smiling that you won?

You guys have any opinion on these mass voting email request?

Am I being too harsh here with my comments?

Get your motor runnin'. Head out on the highway Lookin' for adventure. And whatever comes our way. 1978 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, W72 Engine. bored .030 over Coded WC, 4-speed, Forged rods, pistons, 6X Heads Hays performance clutch, Flowmaster 40 Series 3" stainless dual exhaust, Hooker super competition, Ceramic coated long tube headers, 4 core HD radiator, Edelbrock Performer Series Carb
69_RAG_TOP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.charteroakbirds.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Rigging Online Polls is Really Not a Good Idea

Post by JohnA. on Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:28 pm

I got the same e-mail and voted for the T/A for 2 reasons,One i`ve seen the car up close and it`s a great car and reason #2 is backing a fellow club member.As a young kid my father was a member of car clubs,motorcycle clubs and gun clubs and told me when you are a member of one these clubs it`s like a fraternal brotherhood of people all having the same interest who will have your back in every aspect of your life hobby-wise and personally, I guess we can throw that fraternal brotherhood thing out the window on this issue

JohnA.

Back to top Go down

Post by 69_RAG_TOP on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:00 pm

OK, I can see the fraternal brotherhood excuse for voting for cars on online polls...it is your two cents. Thanks for the post.

I also belong to gun clubs, three car clubs, a sportmans club and a coin club and know what you mean about backing your fellow club members. We all work and have fun together. I am looking for a set of chevrolet rims for one of the guys in one of the car clubs that I belong .

I guess what I am trying to say with this massive online voting thing is that most people do not really know the owner of the car as well as not even seeing the car itself.

So the voting thing becomes more of a thing about winning rather than about the car itself and it comes down to how many people you can get to hit the website.

By the way my wife's cousin's car that I voted for in one poll is a 1970 Chevrolet Monte Carlo for those who were wondering. Jay spent five long years restoring the car. He did the bodywork himself. The car looks better than new... straight as an arrow. Knowing the car like I did, I had to vote for his Monte Carlo. It was a great car. He was up against 9 other cars that did not even come close in quality.

Did he win? No. He came in fifth place...lol

Get your motor runnin'. Head out on the highway Lookin' for adventure. And whatever comes our way. 1978 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, W72 Engine. bored .030 over Coded WC, 4-speed, Forged rods, pistons, 6X Heads Hays performance clutch, Flowmaster 40 Series 3" stainless dual exhaust, Hooker super competition, Ceramic coated long tube headers, 4 core HD radiator, Edelbrock Performer Series Carb
69_RAG_TOP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:24 pm

I voted and I have seen Brian's car. It is nice and the best part is that it is a Trans Am.

Last year I won a third place trophy at Wallingford even though I don't believe that my car deserved it. Other cars should have one based on their cars but you know what, I treasure the trophy because it was voted by my brothers and sisters in the Firebird community. To me it is a symbol of the friends I have made through the hobby. There are plenty of venues for a car to win awards and trophies but having a community pull together in solidarity to vote online for our friend and our marque is not such a bad thing.
Steve

http://tran-zam.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnA. on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:58 pm

I`m with you 100% Steve I got 2nd place this past Sunday in Wallingford,I went into shock when they called my name it meant alot to me because it came from votes from my peers.The Martin`s car stunt we pulled last fall is now validated.If Brian wants to win an online contest and is reaching out to his peers why not help him.I know for a fact he went above and beyond the call of duty for this club this year.I would of loved to do what he did this year but with a buisness to run and a family it was hard but he has the same issues and found a way.If all he`s asking in return is to turn on a computer and vote for him it`s the least I can do.

JohnA.

Back to top Go down

Post by 69_RAG_TOP on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:17 pm

John and Steve, Good to see so many replies on this thread. This site has been rather quiet this past summer.We need some new interesting threads to keep the interest going.

Keep the discussion going! Any else in favor of these chain mail online polls?

69_RAG_TOP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top