» PVFA upcoming events
Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:45 am by TA78

» Car Show August 3 Raynham MA
Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:55 pm by BanditRich

» Pioneer Valley Firebirds Events 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:47 pm by Steve

» 7th ANNUAL NECF POTLUCK COOKOUT, Sunday, June 15, 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:48 pm by The Firebird

» PVGTOA 16th Annual Show 6/1 Agawam Mass.
Wed May 28, 2014 6:13 pm by TA78

» '84 Recaro T/A, 5 speed, uber-rare Y81 Ttop-Delete, $1950
Thu May 08, 2014 2:50 pm by The Firebird

» Dream Car Sprint
Tue May 06, 2014 10:16 pm by Steve

» Grease Monkey Garage
Fri May 02, 2014 6:05 pm by tajoe

National Firebird & Trans Am Club

Charter Oak Firebird’s Club Web Site
Firebird Nation of North America's Club Web Site.

Pioneer Valley Firebird Assn Web Site
Massachusetts Firebird Car Club

Car Shows vs. Classic Car Shows - what is the difference?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Car Shows vs. Classic Car Shows - what is the difference?

Post by 69_RAG_TOP on Tue May 04, 2010 1:49 pm

I posted this on FBN a few days ago and I thought I would paste it here too. It is a funny story on how car show judges treat third generation Firebird car owners especially if their car is not 25 years old...lol Laughing

I thought I would share this story about a very large Regional Sunday Car Show I attended a few years ago. I still chuckle ever every time I tell the story.

When I go to Car Shows, most of the time I drive my 1969 Pontiac Firebird convertible or my 1978 Pontiac Trans Am. When you arrive at the entrance, you pay your fee to enter and the Registration Judge asks me a few questions about the car if the show has car classes. Question

If I take my 1969 Pontiac Firebird or my 1978 Pontiac Trans Am, depending on the size of the show, then the judges usually put me in some designated class...such as:

Firebird 1967 to 1969, stock open scratch
Firebird 1967 to 1969, stock closed scratch
Pontiac, modified scratch
F Body Class scratch
Pontiac Firebird and Trans Am 1967 to 1981 scratch
Pontiac All (1964 to 1985) scratch
Firebird, LeMans, GTO, Bonneville, Catalina scratch

If I take my 1978 Pontiac Trans Am, then the judges usually put me in Pontiac, modified, since the car has headers, non-original paint, no cats and a custom Flowmaster dual exhaust. Wink

If I take my 1969 Firebird convertible, then the judges usually put me in the Firebird 1967 to 1969 stock open class, since the car is mostly original (other than a paint respray). Wink

A few years ago, I took my 1987 Pontiac Trans Am GTA to this large regional car show and the Registration Judge asked me about the car. I said the car was 100% stock as it left the factory right down to the paint. Smile

The judge politely explained that since my car was not at least 25 years old, that what I had was a "really nice used car" and not a classic car. Shocked

The judge put me in the People Choice Group with Camaros, Buicks, Cadillacs, Fords, Chryslers, and Dodges. Rolling Eyes
The judge gave me my car number sticker and I parked between a Chevy Celebrity and a Dodge Intrepid. Embarassed

So now when I drive my 1987 "really nice used car" I only take it to Cruise nights, GTGs or to late model Car Shows. Smile
69_RAG_TOP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.charteroakbirds.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Car Shows vs. Classic Car Shows - what is the difference?

Post by 4SPEED on Sat May 08, 2010 12:49 pm

last year I took my 79 to a show and come to find out they only let in the 1972 and older. I got in but it would not be judged. and they parked me with the 73 and newer rides. with no order in the parking. it looked like a pic from the mall parking lot in the mid 70's. it was still cool.
4SPEED

Back to top Go down

Post by 69_RAG_TOP on Sat May 08, 2010 1:04 pm

That is a shame that you had to park in the overflow lot.

I understand that at a lot of these car shows that they get so many cars, several hundred sometimes, that they have a cut off year to limit the amount of cars... the new cars do not get to display.

You have a really nice looking 1979 there and it is 31 years old, old enough to be designated a classic car and you should be able to get it entered in all of the classic car shows.

Get your motor runnin'. Head out on the highway Lookin' for adventure. And whatever comes our way. 1978 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, W72 Engine. bored .030 over Coded WC, 4-speed, Forged rods, pistons, 6X Heads Hays performance clutch, Flowmaster 40 Series 3" stainless dual exhaust, Hooker super competition, Ceramic coated long tube headers, 4 core HD radiator, Edelbrock Performer Series Carb
69_RAG_TOP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.charteroakbirds.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 4SPEED on Sat May 08, 2010 1:32 pm

at that show the judging count was 1200ish cars. not bad for a small town car show. but it has been going on sense the James Dean days. it's called the DUCK RUN.
4SPEED

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top